|From the TeachingtheWord Bible Knowledgebase|
Editor's Note: The 81st Annual Convention of the American Council of Christian Churches met in Carlisle, Pennsylvania from October 25-27, 2022. The convention approved several resolutions on critical issues confronting Christians and the church in our time, including the one below. We present it for the edification and encouragement of God's people. - Dr. Paul Elliott 
American Council of Christian Churches
81st Convention, October 25-27, 2022
Faith Chapel, Carlisle, PA
Resolution on Franklin Graham
Contrasting Franklin Graham with his famous father, USA Today characterized the son as "a hellfire evangelist and a social conservative force ... speaking directly and bluntly to Americans," while calling his late father "a voice of reason and comfort." Perhaps Graham's militant tone, similar to that of the old-time Fundamentalists, explains why some Fundamentalists have torn down the wall of separation between themselves and Graham's ministries.
In spite of his bold demeanor, Graham's bent towards ecumenism can only be described as "like father, like son." In his evangelistic endeavors sponsored by the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, Graham's partnerships include, among others, heretical Protestants like Hillsong and the apostate Roman Catholic Church. The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association's Decision Magazine has featured people such as Abby Johnson and Alveda King who are a part of the Roman Catholic Church.
A cursory internet search will reveal that Graham's Samaritan's PurseI0 receives support for its evangelistic Operation Christmas Child from liberal Protestants, Charismatics, cults, and the Roman Catholic Church.
Personally, Graham has endorsed religious books written by purveyors of the "Prosperity Gospel" and religious organizations which are supported by and supportive of liberal churches, Charismatics, and Roman Catholics. His 2022 "God Loves You Tour" continues the tradition of compromise begun by his father at Explo '72.
In a 1980 pamphlet entitled Biblical Separation written by Bob Jones University's Bible faculty, the authors conclude:
Public sin committed by a public figure must be publicly rebuked for the sake of those who are being deceived. For example, a man who advocates fellowship with apostasy and who cooperates with cultists, heretics, false teachers, unbelievers, and Romanists is guilty of a public defiance of God's command. For the sake of those whom he is leading astray or who might be led astray by him if not properly warned from the Scripture, a faithful minister of Christ must hold that man up as an example of a false teacher even though he pretends to, and perhaps to an extent does, preach the gospel. He is not, however, abiding in the doctrine of Christ and so must be exposed as a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Editor's Note: It is sad to say that the position of Bob Jones University has changed considerably, and forty-two years after the above was written, BJU is friendly and cooperative with the Graham organization. - pme
Therefore, the American Council of Christian Churches at its 81st Convention, October 25-27, 2022, at Faith Chapel, Carlisle, PA, resolves that Christians and ministries which seek to practice Biblical separation should not partner in ministry with Franklin Graham or any of the organizations that are led by him. Instead, 2 Thessalonians 3:6 declares, "Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us."
1. Evangelist Billy Graham
2. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/21/franklin-graham-billy-graham-legacy-replacefather/85840 I 00 I I
3. An example is Bob Jones University. hhttps://give.bju.edu/shoebox/
5. Graham is President and CEO.
6. https://billygraham.org/gallery/enthusiasm-for-jesus-dominates-japan-celebration/; https://billygraham.org/story/prayingchanged-lives-ahead-greater-vancouver-festival-hope/
7. https://www.wesa.fm/identity-justice/2014-08-14/franklin-graham-son-of-billy-graharn-to-lead-pittsburgh-religious-festival; https://www.post-gazette.com/local/2014/08/10/Franklin-Graham-coming-to-Pittsburgh-known-for-outreach-but-also-divisive√?¬≠comments-on-Islam-Hinduism-and-gay-marriage/stories/201408100022
9. https://decisionmagazine.corn/alveda-king-we-are-one-human-race/; https://www.priestsforlife.org/staff/alveda-king-biography.aspx
10. Graham is President and CEO
11. https://www.stpaulsucc.net/2015/11/18/operation-christmas-child-samaritans-purse/; https://gracelutheranlibertyville.org/operation√?¬≠christmas-child/; http://www.lppcmin.org/get-involved/;
12. https://pgpentecostal.com/news/operation-christmas-child; https://alInationselim.org/operation-christmas-chiId
15. Something Greater by Paula White and Beyond Blessed by Robert Morris. https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2019/october-web√?¬≠only/paula-white-cain-book-endorsement-trump-advisors-graham-jef.html; https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Blessed-Perfect√?¬≠Overcome-Financial/dp/1549143042
16. An example is Youth With A Mission (YWAM). https://ywam.org/about-us/endorsements; https://ywam.org/seeking-christian-unity
18. Dr. Elliott is a member of the ACCC's Executive Committee.
All rights reserved. This article may be reproduced in its entirety only,
for non-commercial purposes, provided that this copyright notice is included.
We also suggest that you include a direct hyperlink to this article
for the convenience of your readers.